It was such a long time ago and I just
don't remember how we started the Sonics. I do remember a few things...
- I remember that I was a freshman at Buena
High School. Greg was a sophomore, and I think Jimmy was, too. Ray
was a senior.
- I remember that in 1965, Sierra Vista
was a small town of 3,500 people. The 2005 census lists the population
of at 41,908.
- I remember that Greg and Ray were "cool"
guys. They were the first friends I had that knew something about
what it took to be a cool musician. They had things to do that were
cool, things to do that weren't.
- I remember that surfing was cool, and
surf music was cool. I liked the Beatles, but music that was also
heard around Sierra Vista was the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, the
- I remember that these were the days of
a new invention - the skateboard. Surfing was cool, but since we lived
in the middle of the desert, skateboards were really hot.
- I remember that when we started, some
kid named Gary was on rhythm guitar. He stole a microphone from me
and we kicked him out of the band and then pulled Ray in.
- I remember we started practicing in a
furniture store. Jimmy's dad owned Hilburn's Furniture in the middle
of town. We set up in between a bunch of sofas.
- I remember that Jimmy was partially handicapped,
but was a great drummer. We were lucky to have him.
- I remember that our big gig was playing
the Teen Club on Fort Huachuca. We were probably raw, but seemed to
have the audience with us.
- I remember that we also did a couple
of dances at Buena High School. I don't remember that we had too many
other gigs besides those.
- I remember making a trip to Tucson with
Greg and seeing Paul Revere and the Raiders at some baseball field.
They were a great band and performed a show as well as good music.
- I remember that my folks left for Massachussetts
right after the school year ended - and I stayed. However, the band
never played again. I spent the last summer in Sierra Vista playing